VETERANS AFFAIRS & REHABILITATION PROGRAM
The Veterans Affairs & Rehabilitation (VA&R) program promotes The American Legion Auxiliary’s (TAL) mission to enhance the lives of veterans, military, and their families.
Our focus this year will be on Making Wishes Come True by fulfilling the wish lists of the three (3) Fisher Houses in Virginia which provide a home away from home for the families of veterans receiving care in VA Hospitals at no cost to the families allowing concentration on the healing process.
Also, this year we will continue to raise focus on raising funds to support the needs of our VA Medical Centers and assist and celebrate veteran caregivers in our communities.
What can you do under the VA&R Program?
- Assist in activities that help homeless veterans.
- Support rehabilitation and healing of veterans through arts, crafts, and hobbies.
- Support veteran caregivers, family members and survivors.
- Promote job fairs for veterans and their families sponsored b y the American Legion, Department of Veterans Affairs and Chambers of Commerce.
- Enroll Auxiliary members as VA Voluntary Service (VAVS) volunteers at VA health care facilities.
- Volunteer in hospital settings, i.e., helping with the VA Gift Shops, stand downs. (to be announced later). Home Services, the method of reporting the number of volunteer hours or the cost of materials and supplies for veterans by volunteers in their own home. Home service hours include time spent sewing, knitting, cooking, shopping for materials and supplies, and other services performed by the volunteers IN THEIR OWN HOMES.
Report: Please be sure to keep a record of all the wonderful things your unit is doing so it ca reported at the end of the year. Please capture the number of veterans you serve, your volunteer hours, mileage and monetary or in-kind donations. Year end reports will be due by April 15, 2023;
Please consider answering these questions in your report narratives:
How did your unit participate in the caregivers support program.
Describe any exceptional efforts members made in erring their Service to Veterans Hours
What assistance did your unit give at a stand down? What did you learn about hosting or participating at a stand down in these unique times? What went well; what would you do differently?
Donations for VA&R Special Project – please address checks to ALA Department of VA and mail to 1708 Commonwealth Avenue, Richard VA 232230. Write VA&R Project or designate the specific VA Medical Center on the memo line.
I look forward to serving as your VA& Chairman for the incoming year. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me.
VETERANS AFFAIRS AND REHABILITATION COMMITTEE
VETERANS AFFAIRS AND REHABILITATION PROGRAM
VA_R One Page Summary 2022-2023
Programs Action Plan – VA&R