American Legion Auxiliary – Department of Virginia
Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation Program Summary 2020-2021
What can you do under the VA&R Program?
- Assist in activities that help homeless veterans.
- Support rehabilitation and healing of veterans through arts, crafts, and hobbies.
- Promote job fairs for veterans and their families sponsored by The American Legion, Department of Veterans Affairs and Chambers of Commerce.
- Enroll as VA Voluntary Service (VAVS) volunteers at VA healthcare facilities.
- There isn’t a VA hospital close to your community or pandemic precautions prevent on-site activities? Find opportunities to serve veterans in new ways. These hours will count toward your Service to Veterans pin and hour bars.
- Transitioning back to civilian life is one of the biggest challenges veterans face today.
Educate yourself about resources so you can help veterans access all their VA benefits, not just health care. Work with your local American Legion Post Service Officer or train to become a Service Officer yourself.
- Assist and support caregivers.
- Familiarize your unit and community with the services of the VA caregiver support program and the Elizabeth Dole Foundation’s Hidden Heroes* program.
*Hidden Heroes – look for a special flyer attached to the Department’s 2020-21 Programs Action Plan*
Report your impact. Taking the time to share a favorite story about the positive impact you and your unit have had on our mission is worth doing! Mid-year reports are due by December 15, 2020. Year-end reports are due April 15, 2021.
Please consider answering these questions in your report narratives:
- How did your unit participate in the caregiver support program?
- Describe any exceptional efforts members made in earning their Service to Veterans hours.
- What assistance did your unit give at a stand down? What did you learn about hosting or participating at a stand down in these unique times? What went well; what would you do differently?
Donations for Joint President/VA&R Special Project – please address checks to ALA Department of VA and mail to 1708 Commonwealth Avenue, Richmond, VA 23230. Write “President’s Project” or designate the specific VA Medical Center on the memo line.
The Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation (VA&R) program promotes The American Legion Auxiliary’s (TALA) mission to enhance the lives of veterans, military, and their families. This year we will be focusing on raising funds to support the needs of our VA Medical Centers and assisting veteran caregivers in our communities.