Patriotism and pride is what this country is built on and we need to do all we can to promote that. There are many ways The American Legion Auxiliary can help instruct our citizens and this can even begin with the children.
What Can You Do?
• Teach respect for the American Flag and what it stands for, including flag etiquette, proper handling and standing for the National Anthem.
• Ask Veterans to accompany you to schools to speak with the children about what the flag and Constitution means to them.
• In addition to schools, contact other youth groups such as 4-H and Boy/Girl Scouts.
• Encourage Legion family members to fly the American flag at their home.
• Promote the flying of the Freedom Flag. The Freedom Flag is the official flag of remembrance for 9/11 in Virginia.
• Increase participation in the Americanism Essay Contest. The 2021 essay title is “How can we address the health and well-being of our veterans, military and their families.”
• Take your children or grandchildren with you when you vote.
• Encourage everyone to vote.
• The Mid-Year report is due by December 15, 2020 and the Year-End report is due by April 15, 2021. Please mail your reports to Nalena Klaas, 15416 Courthouse Road, Dinwiddie, VA 23841 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chair: Elizabeth Shepherd
Email Address: Americanism@vaauxiliary.org
Advisor: Patricia Upshaw, PDP
Download: 2020-2021 Americanism Summary Sheet