The American Legion Auxiliary
Program Action Plan
Constitution & Bylaws
The Constitution & Bylaws program informs and educates members of the American Legion Auxiliary on the importance and power of properly written, reviewed, and updated documents, policies, and procedures at all levels. Constitution & Bylaws are the basis for governance of your Department, district, county, and Unit. Preparing and adhering to updated Constitution, Bylaws, and Standing Rules will ensure a more successful organizational process and provide the structures to follow at of our organization levels.
Ensure Unit & District Compliance:
Update and submit to Department Constitution & Bylaws Chairperson the Unit and District Constitution, Bylaws, and Standing Rules. Ensure that all policies and procedures comply with the national organization’s governing documents. (National updates and recommendations located at the end of Program Action Plan.)
To date, there are only 32 Units and 4 Districts have Constitution & Bylaws recorded from 2020-2022. I will follow up with each Unit in the next couple of months that do not have an updated document on file with the Department. Each Unit and District should have on file their Constitution and Bylaws that include the following verbiage to comply with National and Department documents.
- Clarification of eligibility to include “spouses” of veterans who served during the eligibility period(s)
- Review your governing documents and take action to revise all pronouns to be gender-neutral.
- Update eligibility due to The Legion Act signed into law by President Trump (S 504) last July, opens eligibility from December 7, 1941, to a time later determined by the federal government(currently fully open from December 7, 1941, to present)
- ALA membership is available only for two generations from the veteran himself/herself. TheNational Judge Advocate has stated that we will follow IRS regulations limiting eligibility to within two degrees of consanguinity. This IRS regulation means that no great or great-great- granddaughters can join the Auxiliary. Current members whose eligibility relationship is great-granddaughter, great-great-granddaughter can continue being a member, as long as their dues remain current. New ALA Applications are being created to reflect this fact.
- Language in the Preamble modified from “great wars” to “all wars.”
- Ensure inclusion of the following verbiage:
- a. Both The American Legion and The American Legion Auxiliary do not and never have discriminated against a person of different sexual orientation for membership.
- b. Wartime veterans, both heterosexual and homosexual, who otherwise meet membership eligibility criteria, are welcome to join The American Legion.
- c. Female wartime veterans are also eligible to join The American Legion Auxiliary, and we proudly welcome our “dual-members.”
- d. Spouses and female direct relatives of members of The American Legion are welcome to join The American Legion Auxiliary.