Public Relations Program
“Anchors Aweigh- Full Speed Ahead”
The goal of the Public Relations Committee is to promote WHO we are, WHAT we do, and WHY we matter to our members, potential members, and to the general public.
Our focus for the 2022-2023 year will be using our Public Relations anchor and moving full speed ahead with our motto of “Service not self.” Let’s talk 3 ways we can do that:
- Find your WHY: Why did you join the ALA? What makes you passionate about service not self and sharing that mission? What is your favorite part of what we do that gets you excited? THAT’S YOUR WHY!
- Learn and Share WHAT we do: Check out the ALA Academy! Read through the handbook! Go to Leadership Workshops! And then share it! Mentor a new member! Share the programs with the public so they can find their why too!
- Promote WHY we matter: One of our biggest selling points to gain new members is to help them see the amazing work we do so they can get excited and passionate too! Sharing what we do, and why we matter, helps others find their WHY and that’s crucial to recruiting! It also helps us keep ourselves mission oriented- it keeps us grounded in service not self so that we can continue to provide another 100 years of dedicated service!
What are some ways we can accomplish this goal?
- Promote a positive image of the American Legion Auxiliary and use the variety of public relations materials and resources available online. Ex. Give an Auxiliary magazine gift subscription to your local library or doctor’s office
- Build brand loyalty of the American Legion Auxiliary through the utilization and promotion of websites, social media, and other electronic communications. Ex. Promote Auxiliary events on your personal social media accounts.
Other ideas to help accomplish our main goal are listed in the Program Action Plan, along with mid-year and end of year report forms and specific criteria for Department/National awards.